The first recorded mention of a Baptist Church in Fairfield, Texas was in September of 1855, claiming 18 members. By 1864, membership had grown to 85 and George Washington Baines became pastor. The members erected their first building in 1891, but it was replaced by another in 1912 which housed the church until 1948. At that time a building the church referred to as “The Alamo,” was constructed. It has since been removed (in more recent years) to make room for the changing needs of the congregation.
Our current education building was constructed in 1955 and the second floor added in 1979. An annex, we now referred to as The Shed, was added in 1965; It was originally used as a parsonage. In 1983 our current worship center was constructed, followed by the early 2000’s completion of our Christian Life Center, and the more recent addition of our Nursery/PreSchool wing and Welcome Center.
The history of First Baptist Church Fairfield is still being written by our church family. Though we mark time with our various construction projects we are in the business of constructing relationships – Relationships between GOD and people! Our facilities are here for ONE PURPOSE – to minister to and care for people, forever pointing them toward Christ!